Sports and Outdoor Activities
At St Tiernan’s we have a long tradition of involvement in sports and extracurricular activities. We aim to build students’ motivation and commitment to Physical Activity within and beyond the school. Students will experience a range of physical activities and build their own skills and confidence by participating in them.
- Boys and Girls Soccer teams compete in Football Association of Ireland School Leagues and Cups, at U15, U17 and U19 age groups.
- Table Tennis Six-times All Ireland School Champions. Training every day at lunch time under supervision of fully-qualified coaches/teachers. Students have represented Ireland at Junior and Senior Level and several boys and girls hold Leinster titles.
- Gaelic Football Boys Teams participate in GAA School Leagues and Cups at U14, U16 and U18 age groups.
- Athletics Students compete in Irish Schools Championships. Every year in May around 70 students participate in the Community and Comprehensive School Athletics Competition in Santry. Many students also represent the school in the East Leinster and Leinster Athletics Finals.
- Basketball boys and girls are available to all students. Teams take part in CCSSCA Ireland league. U16 and U19 teams competing in the league before Christmas, 1st and 2nd Years matches taking place after Christmas.
- Chess Club – students meet in the main hall every Thursday after school 3 pm – 4 pm.
- Badminton and Volleyball will be available to all students in January 2023.
The PE Department with the support of Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Sports Partnership every year completes 6 weeks indoor rowing programme “Get Rowing Get Going” in St Tiernan’s during PE classes with all Junior students. The course is taught by qualified coaches and professional rowers from Neptune Rowing Club in Islandbridge. Every student competes in the 500 meters challenge at the end of the course and is awarded with a certificate of participation.
All TY students take part in a one-day Coaching Workshop. The Students who successfully complete the Course with a Coaching Certificate are also awarded to an on the water rowing session in the Neptune Rowing Club.
Our school had been selected by the Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown Co Council to take part in an Active Dance programme. Our Transition Year, 5th and 6th year girls participated in this programme last year over 6 weeks with a huge enthusiasm and enjoyment. Week one involved overview of the programme and interactive workshop on the benefits of Physical Education followed by four weeks of Dance classes of their choice. The girls decided on hip hop style taught by Cayisha. The weekly dance sessions took place in school during PE time and were very well revived by the girls. The final day was held in UCD. There were two other schools involved in this programme, about 100 girls in total. Activities arranged for the day were Zumba fitness performed by an all girls Dance routine presented by each school. The day concluded with a workshop reviewing the 5 weeks, nutritional information and tips on keeping active.