Through a caring and collective approach St Tiernan’s Community School aims to:
- Encourage academic success, promoting quality in everything we do.
- Develop a well-rounded individual with a healthy physical, social, and spiritual outlook on life.
- Nurture a sense of respect and pride in each individual in the school and in the community.
- Maintain a positive, caring and disciplined environment.
- Provide a joyful educational experience for all.
St Tiernan's encourages and rewards excellence in every area of school life through regular school assemblies where students are presented with a variety of achievement awards including:
- Academic Achievement Certificates, awarded three times annually
- Bronze, Silver and Gold Cards for classroom effort/behaviour
- Fergus Mowlds Trophy awarded to the student who achieves the best overall Junior Certificate exam results
- The Andrew Donaldson Trophy, awarded to the student who contributes most positively to the community care programme
- The Rita McGrane Trophy presented to the most outstanding Junior Debating team
- Employee of the Year, awarded to the most highly commended Transition Year and/or Leaving Certificate Applied student from the work experience programme
- Table Tennis Perpetual Trophy, awarded to the most outstanding First Year Table Tennis team
- First Year Perpetual Sports Trophy, presented to the most successful First Year class at their Sports Day